Defensive Pressure | Rondo (10-P1)
Organisation / Set Up
This Rondo is Practice 1 of Theme 10: Defensive Pressure and is based off a 3412 Formation as you can see. This is played in a 20 by 20 Yard area with a 10 by 10 central square for the single player (8) to combine and break the defensive line of 2 midfielders who look to win the ball. Our midfield pair, must avoid being split with a through pass, by not leaving large gaps for the opposition to play through.
Key Coaching Points
- Tactical | Keep play on outside, no gaps for pass to be played through
- Psych | Recognition of right time to press, being aggressive in decisions
- Technical | Apply correct defending technique in pressing phase
Progressions & Constraints 1
Allow midfield players to rotate, this increases challenge for defenders as they will have to check their shoulders more when screening.
Progressions & Constraints 2
Replacing an attacking player with a defender creating a 6 v 3, this should increase pressure applied to the ball, resulting in more regains.
Key Coaching Questions
- How can you work together to limit spaces?
- When is the right time to press as a pair?
- Where are you getting success and how can you maintain this level?