Free Soccer Drills
Receiving To Dribble & Drive | Technical Practice (44-P2)
Depending on numbers this practice should be at least a 202 yard big box and 102 yard central box. With older age groups and more numbers could extend to 252. Split groups in half, with players on the outside on the ball and other half of players on the inside.
First practice is a simple pass into middle man who must turn, do any trick in smaller square, pass to another player, then intercept another ball to repeat.
Progression 1 | Rotate In & Out
- All players now involved in rotation, when ball passed out or takeover then repeat action, communication.
Progression 2 | 1-2 Combo
- Player dribbling through centre, must now play a 1-2 with outside player before rotation; check body shape.
Progression 3 | 1-2 Then 3rd Man
- After 1-2, pass to player on the right, or left of receiver, for them to repeat. Game understanding and awareness.
Key Coaching Points
- There are many variations to this practice, including type of service, working headers and volleys together with different movements off the ball. The coach has free licence to implement as many changes they feel would benefit the players. Remember to monitor the time players are working, no longer than 2 minutes for each part and rotate if necessary.
- S - SPACE: We could add 2 or 3 separate areas rather than 1 central areas, whereby players must perform a trick before laying off to teammate.
- T - TIME: Limit to 1-2 minutes. Could challenge players to see how many tricks they can use before cut off; be mindful of drop in level of technique
- E - EQUIPMENT: Outside players may have to cross over to other side of square after playing pass
- P - PLAYERS: Could introduce defenders to add pressure in central area passively so players have decisions to make in terms of attacking spaces.